Monday, May 5, 2008

More Rubber Bands...

Hey everyone! So for this post I thought that I would talk about the world record for the largest rubber band ball in the world. The creator of this ball is a man by the name of John Bain who now resides in California. He spent seven years and hours creating this enormous rubber band ball which weighs 3,500 pounds. It says on his website that each rubber band was stretched around the ball each time to create a true rubber band ball.

This type of world record is very popular, usually within a few years someone new always beats the existing world record. John's rubber band ball however is in the Guinness Book of World Records for 2007. Here is something that I took from his website to decribe to you guys how he got started:

I started my ball while working in the mail room of one of the world's largest law firms, Skadden Arps. While working I was surrounded by office supplies. This is when I started becoming fascinated with making art out of any piece of office material that I could bend, twist or glue into something cool. I had to pick up the mail from the post office every day for the attorneys, while at the post office I would grab a handful of the free rubber bands. These handfuls eventually added up to a 30 lb. ball. At this point normal size bands began to break and it was time to find a better source of bigger bands. I then wrote a persuasive letter to numerous rubber band companies promising to break the world record and also agreeing to give there company some free publicity when the record was mine. I quickly received a response from Alliance rubber and they began sending me boxes of bands. The project took me approximately 2 years. I spent about two hours a day in my garage wrapping bands, dodging broken bands and dancing around my ball like a wild Indian at a ritual. This means I listened to countless hours of music and had lots of quality thinking time. The ball is solid to the core rubber bands! This means in the center there is one rubber band tied in a knot. If you were to cut the ball in half it would look like an everlasting gob stopper from all the different colored layers. My advice to anyone who wants to attempt to break my record...Good luck, making a ball of rubber bands this big and trying to keep it round is extremely hard.!
Interesting...

No comments: