Monday, March 24, 2008

Hula Hula Baby

When I was a kid I started out so bad at hula hooping, I mean really bad. Then at around 9 or 10 years old my grandmother bought me a big yellow hula hoop and I got better at it. One day I was in my back yard for about an hour hula hooping non stop and I can remember saying to myself that I was so good at it and that I could make a record. But I was defintely wrong, I was no where close to beating the hula hooping record. That record belongs to Kym Coberly who in 1984 hula hooped for three days. That is 72 hours of hula hooping! Now some of you might be wondering if you do this continuosly without taking any breaks but thats not the case. I found the rules to hula hooping-if you want to set a record yourself.

THE RULES!

1. The record is for continuous revolution of a hula hoop.
2. A standard size and weight hula hoop must be used.
3. The hoop must be revolved between the shoulders and hips.
4. If the hoop passes above the shoulders the attempt is ended.
5. If the hoop passes below the hips the competitor has 30 seconds in which to try to recover it without using his/her hands or arms. If the hoop is not revolving above the hips within 30 seconds the attempt is ended.
6. If the hoop passes below the knees and/or touches the ground, the attempt is ended.
7. Once the hoop has begun to spin the hands of the competitor must not touch the hoop. If the challenger touches the hoop with his/her hands, the attempt is ended.
8. Rest breaks of 5 minutes per hour are allowed. (Note: This rule has been changed; in previous years, this was a non-stop categories)
9. No person under the age of 14 may compete.
10. Persons aged between 14 and 18 must, before competition, be in possession of a document signed by their parent or legal guardian, giving them permission to compete. This document must be added to the log book and witnessed before the attempt has started.
11. A fully-qualified practising member of the medical profession must be present at all times watching the attempt.
12. The entire attempt must be filmed on audio video.


Now, I haven't really hula hooped for years because someone stole my yellow hula hoop right from the side of my old house and I have yet to find one like it but maybe I will pick up the hobby again some day.

No comments: