Thursday, March 13, 2008

Tsar Bomba

Recently in my English class, I was assigned to read The Curve of Binding Energy by John McPhee. The novel was about the life and career of relatively unknown theorist physicist Theodore B. Taylor, as well as his warning to the world to avoid nuclear weapons and to keep them out of the wrong hands. He thought that they should be locked up somewhere safe. After reading it, it got my mind thinking of nuclear weapons that have been used in the past such as in Nagasaki and Hiroshima, and the destruction that they have caused. I also began to think of the most powerful bomb to ever detonate in the world out of curiosity. I did some quick research and discovered that the most powerful bomb to ever detonate was called the Tsar Bomba.

The Tsar Bomba is also known as The Big Ivan or the King of the Bombs. It was tested and detonated in 1961 by the Soviet Union. It looked like a huge rocket, weighed 27 tons and was eight meters long. It caused massive devastation; the complete destruction of Tsar Bomba extended to a radius of 40 miles surrounding the blast and severe damage went as far as 60 miles. I posted up a couple of pictures just so you all can actually see the bomb itself.

My opinion, I just think that it is so amazing (in a negative way) of how much time people spend developing nuclear weapons that ultimately will kill people. I do not understand why some researchers and scientists are so fascinated with such a morbid topic. We already have so much destruction in the world and don’t need people continuing, to this day, to make nuclear weapons that can take years to develop, and just hurt the rest of humankind in the end.

No comments: